1231

WOULDHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES of the MONTHLY MEETING of the PARISH COUNCIL held on TUESDAY,

5th FEBRUARY, 2008, in the VILLAGE HALL, WOULDHAM.

PRESENT: Mr. K Malkinson (Chairman), Mr. D Adams, Mr T Fulwell, Mrs J Head,

Ms A Parnell and Mr R Stone.

 

IN ATTENDANCE: Mr R Dalton (Borough Councillor)

Mr D Davis (Borough Councillor)

Mr. M J Ross (Clerk)

MEMBERS OF

THE PUBLIC: There were 7 Members of the public present. Action by

 

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: There were no apologies for absence.

 

2. MINUTES: The minutes of the monthly meeting of the Parish Council, held on the 8th January,

2008, the Extraordinary Meeting of the same date and the Extraordinary Meeting (Precept) of the

15th January, 2008 were proposed by Cllr. Stone and seconded by Cllr. Head, to be a true record of the

proceedings of the Parish Council, and it was AGREED that they be signed by the Chairman.

Cllr. Fulwell asked for his objection to the wording of the minutes of the Extraordinary Meeting of the

8th January, 2008, to be recorded.

 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES: Members AGREED that matters arising from the

minutes would be dealt with under the appropriate heading as the meeting progressed through the

agenda.

 

4. POLICE REPORT: There was no Police presence and therefore a report was not received.

 

5. BOROUGH COUNCILLORS REPORT: Borough Cllr. Davis reported that fly tipping

continues to be a problem although the Hall Road area has improved of late with less fly

tipping.

The issue of the adoption of Oldfield Drive has been raised with Malcolm Appleby of KHS

and a meeting is proposed to try and progress the matter. It has been established that Lafarge

Cement are not in any way involved in the delays that are occurring, but Taylor Woodrow, who

bought out the original developers, Wilcon Homes, and who are now known as Taylor Wimpey

may well be responsible. KCC are planning to circulate a plan indicating the rear access to the

school and the playing fields access to see if these are acceptable. Once these have been

confirmed as in order, the completion of the adoption could be completed withing 28 days.

 

6. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT: The Clerk reported that he had not received any

report from County Councillor Rowe.

 

7. MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: A member of the public raised a number of issues relating

to the proposed Greenway, with particular regard to the cobbled surface that was proposed for

the Bridleway MR10. The Chairman confirmed that the PC had identified this problem in their

comments to TMBC and suggested that alternative, softer surfaces should be considered.

The member of the public also confirmed that the majority of the members of the public present

had attended to satisfy themselves that the PC were proceeding with their promise to survey

the village with regard to the suggestion of the closure of Scarborough Lane and Margetts

Lane. Members, after discussion, AGREED that the survey would be carried out forthwith so

that residents of the village given an opportunity to have their say on the issue.

 

 

 

 

Action by

 

8. PLANNING: (a) Planning applications considered by the Planning Committee:

(i) Peters Village – Details of Piling: No comments

(ii)                Land east of Hall Road-Removal of high voltage overhead lines:

The PC would like to see the whole route to Knowle Road placed

underground.

(iii)               Peters Village – Construction of Greenway: The PC object to this

application on the grounds that the amendments are unacceptable

because the deduction of the shuttle area, to the south, defeats the

object of the traffic lights being out of sight of one another.

Pollution & disruption is likely to residents of Hall Road when vehicles

stack at the lights and the PC feel there is no need for priority for

southbound traffic and they would like further detail of exact traffic

light positions.

(iv)              Peters Village-Main on site road network, landscaping and public open

spaces: The PC have concerns that changes have been made to the

surface of the bridleway as part of Riverside Walk. Also the area of

vegetation to be removed at the site of the Roman buildings is likely to

be outside the application site.

(v)                Peters Village-Construction of new and improvements to existing

highways between Peters Village and the junction of Rochester Road

& Pilgrims Way: No comments

(vi)              Peters Village-Additional infrastructure and associated landscaping as

part of new construction and improvements to existing PROW between

Peters Village & Rochester Road/Pilgrims Way junction: No comments

(b) Planning Consents issued:

(i) Land between A228 & Peter Hall Road-Details of contamination

(ii) Upper Nashenden Farm-Variations to approved application.

(c) Planning Applications refused:

(i) Land adjacent to 230 High Street-Erection of 2 storey dwelling

(d) Other Planning Issues:

Access road to rear of High Street: The Clerk reported that he

had received a draft scheme for the construction of the access

road and the Chairman confirmed that he was now consulting with

the Planning Committee on the proposals, who would report back

to the PC in due course.

Three Villages Liaison Group: The Chairman referred

to the notes of the Liaison Group meeting of the

17th January, 2008, already circulated. He drew attention to the

village ‘wish list’ that had been noted and hoped the 3 villages

would support one another in trying to achieve these plans for

their villages.

 

9. STREET LIGHTING: Cllr. Adams stated that he had nothing to report this month.

 

10. HIGHWAYS & VERGES: General: Cllr. Head referred to the Spreadsheet and enquired

whether members had any items to add but there were no other issues to be raised.

The adoption of Oldfield Drive was also raised with the query as to whether the service road

areas, such as Meadow Way and Garden Court would be included in the adoption and Bor. Cllr. Davis

Bor. Cllr. Davis undertook to find out.

The Chairman also referred to the need to establish a plan to deal with the parking problems in

the Village and suggested that Cllr. Head take responsibility for gathering information in order Cllr. Head

to produce this plan. Cllr. Head agreed to assume this responsibility but stated that she would

need help which members agreed they would provide.

Action by

 

The Chairman stated that he had contacted David Aspinall of KHS to try and establish what

plans, if any, KCC had for Scarborough and Margetts Lanes. He had been advised that, at this

point in time, there were no plans to close either of these Lanes.

Cllr. Adams then stated that he felt the PC should now take action to consult all residents of the

Village and this was AGREED by all members. The exact wording of the Survey letter to

residents was to be determined.

There continues to be problems with the Traffic Management Scheme with signage not being in

place and other issues. The safety audit carried out by an independent contractor indicted that

there were concerns about the safety of the ‘gateway’ on Knowle Road but felt that with the

necessary signage in place this could be overcome. However, the matter would be reviewed in

due course after all signs were erected.

The Clerk read out a letter from a Member of the public which commended the PC on the

scheme and considered that despite the doubts about the safety of some parts, was a major

benefit to the Village.

 

11. FOOTPATHS/PROW: General: The surfacing of the footpath forming the alleyway by the

school was discussed and the quotes obtained. After discussion, Members AGREED that the

specification for the surfacing should be revised to provide for a surface right across the width

of the path with a 2 metre wide strip through the middle having a tarmac surface. The Chairman &

Chairman and Cllrs. Stone and Adams, agreed to go back to the contractors they had approached Cllrs. Stone & Adams

and obtain a revised quote based on the new specification.

 

12. ALLOTMENTS: The representative of the allotment holders, stated that all was

satisfactory in the management of the allotments and enquired about the possibility of

extending the water supply to a new standpipe to the top end of the allotments. Members

AGREED to consider the request when the likely cost of extending it was known.

It was also reported that there were still 2 plots available and Members AGREED that

reference to this fact should be included in the PC’s article in Parish News.

The collection of the rents for the forthcoming year was a further issue raised and the Clerk

confirmed that these were normally collected by the Association on a Saturday morning in late

March, in the VH, for a two hour period between 10.0am and Noon.

The representative also confirmed that he was going to liaise with the named

representatives from Burham and Eccles in regard to the Vegetable and Flower Show that was

planned.

 

13. RECREATION GROUND: Cllr. Adams enquired about the request of Burham Football

Club to provide 2 pitches on the Recreation Ground rather than the current one. The

Chairman advised that the suggested layout of 2 pitches had left little space for the public to

walk round and therefore the proposal had been abandoned.

Cllr. Head referred to the extremely poor condition of the car park surface and suggested

something needed to be done to improve it. Cllr. Stone suggested that the PC might be able to

arrange for scalpings from works on Blue Bell Hill to be used for infilling the poor areas Cllr. Stone

of the car park and undertook to look into the possibility further.

14. VILLAGE HALL: There was nothing to report.

 

16. FINANCE: (i) General: The Clerk reported that he had consulted with Shaw & Sons

regarding the Chairman’s insignia and was awaiting a revised quote to bring the figure down Clerk

to within the £1450 allowed by the insurers.

 

 

Action by

(ii) Bank Position:

Income this month: £549.96

Current Account: £2,667.62 (less cheques for payment today)

Savings Account: £18,466.10

Building Society Account: £10,016.01

(iii) Accounts for Payment:

Cheque No

Payee

Detail

Amount

Direct

EDF Energy

Street Lighting - Electricity supply: January, 2008.

22.96

2354

M J Ross

Sal: 750.00; Rent: 125.00; Exp: 40.64; Imp: 14.10

954.74

2355

J Harmer

Litter Duties-January, 2008

177.36

All the above accounts were approved for payment.

 

(iv) Grants: The Clerk reported that he had been advised by KCC that the

Members Grant of £2000 for the footpath surfacing by the school, must be spent by the

30th April, 2008, or for the PC to give valid reasons why not.

 

16 SPECIAL REPORTS: (a) Village Sign: The Clerk reported that he had established that

KCC Supplies were able to provide a plaque to recognize the work done on the Village Sign by

Ken & Jo Savage, but required the exact wording to be provided on the plaque and its size in

order to be able to quote. Members AGREED that the wording should be as follows: Clerk

“Designed and built by Ken and Jo Savage, 2007”.

(b)Church News & Letter: Various subjects were agreed for

inclusion in the Parish News, including reiterating the problems with fly tipping, the availability

of allotment plots, a further reference to the survey regarding the possible closure of

Scarborough and Margetts Lanes and the continuing vacancies on the PC. It was also suggested

that a reference to the parking problems in the service road areas of Oldfield Drive should be Clerk

mentioned, with a reference to the fact that this is a private road at the moment and any parking

should be done with consideration for other residents.

17. CORRESPONDENCE: The list of letters and other correspondence received during the

month was circulated to Members on the e-mail, so that any Member could request sight of any

particular item that they wished to read.

 

18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be on the 4th March, 2008.

 

19. COUNCILLORS/CHAIRMAN/CLERK: Cllr. Parnell asked if she could receive the

minutes separate from the agenda so that she can pass on the minutes to Chris Norcutt for

inclusion in the website he has created for Wouldham, after approval by the PC.

Cllr. Adams suggested that an approach should be made to the owners of the land at Church

Place, to see if they would consider selling the land to the PC.

 

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.15pm

 

Signed as a correct record of the proceedings

 

 

 

 

 

 

Date: 4th March, 2008. Chairman:………………………

© Copyright 2008 WW Media