1231

        WOULDHAM PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES of the MONTHLY MEETING of the PARISH COUNCIL held on TUESDAY,

4th  SEPTEMBER, 2007, in  the VILLAGE HALL, WOULDHAM.

                                                                                               

PRESENT:                   Mr. K Malkinson (Chairman), Mr. D Adams, Mr T Fulwell,

                                       Mrs J Head, and Mr R Stone.  

 

IN ATTENDANCE:   Mr D Davis (Borough Councillor)

Mr R Dalton (Borough Councillor)

PC Dalton

PC Honeysett

Mr. M J Ross (Clerk)

MEMBERS OF

THE PUBLIC:              There was 1 Member of the public present.                                                            Action by

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Apologies for absence were received from

Cllrs. Giles and Parnell,

 

2. MINUTES:  The minutes of the monthly meeting of the Parish Council, held on the 3rd

July, 2007, were proposed by Cllr. Stone and seconded by Cllr. Head, to be a true record of

the proceedings of the Parish Council, and it was AGREED that they be signed by the

Chairman.

 

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES: Members AGREED that matters arising

from the minutes would be dealt with under the appropriate heading as the meeting

progressed through the agenda.

 

4. CODE OF CONDUCT: The Clerk advised Members that a new Code of Conduct had

been determined for all Town and Parish Councils.    It was necessary for the PC to adopt

the code before the 2nd October, 2007. A copy of the model Code was passed to each

member and the Clerk pointed out the paragraphs that did not apply.   Members AGREED

that the model Code of Conduct, as presented by the Clerk, should be adopted forthwith

and due notice of this fact should, as required, be published in the local newspaper. The

Clerk agreed to circulate a document showing the changes from the previous Code of

Conduct.

 

 

5. POLICE REPORT: PC Honeysett was introduced as the new PCSO who would be

covering the Village besides other areas.   She reported that during the past month there

had been a total of 12 crimes reported.These varied from criminal damage to theft of a

motor vehicle and the theft of a bicycle.   David Kemp, the Community Warden was

currently ill and John introduced himself as cover for the period of David Kemp’s illness.   

John was the Senior Warden Supervisor for the T & M area and planned to attend during

the day and some evening visiting as well which was welcomed by members.

 

6. BOROUGH COUNCILLORS REPORT: Borough Cllr. Dalton referred to the

issues raised in regard to land adjacent to 11 School Lane and confirmed that he

was aware of the PC’s concerns and was in contact with officers of Development

Control at TMBC. Borough Cllr. Davis stated that Oldfield Drive was still not

adopted. Plastic recycling at Burham was progressing but made the point that if

Wouldham take up plastic recycling, the public should be advised to tread on

plastic bottles etc. so as to condense them before placing them in the

recycling facility. The green lidded bin seminar for the Village, held on the

previous day, was extremely poorly attended with only 2 or 3 members of the

public.

 

 

 

                                                                       

7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT: The Clerk reported that County

Councillor Rowe had failed to send any report this month and there had been

problems with the email system with the email sent, failing to be delivered.                                                                                                                                                     

 

8. MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: The cleaning of storm gullies in the village

was raised by a member of the public.   Cllr. Head responded by advising that this

work was scheduled for November 2007. However she had included the cleaning

on the Spreadsheet and understood that KHS were planning to carry out the work

in September. Did the Tour de France, which came through the village along

 

Pilgrims Way, involved anycost to the PC ? was another question asked and the

answer to this was No, no cost whatsoever.

 

9. PLANNING: (a) Planning applications considered and commented upon, by

            Planning Committee:   

(i)                  Land east of 11 School Lane-Soil investigation: The PC object to

             this application on the basis that insufficient attention has been

             given to locating the source and extent of the contamination and

             that, with the failure to do noise tests at a more realistic location,

             the original approval should be revoked until such time as a much

             more thorough examination of the aforementioned areas has been

             undertaken.

(ii)                Peters Village-Construction of a single carriageway crossing –

                                    Surface water drainage: No comments

(iii)               Land east of 11 School Lane-Details of surface and foul water

                                    discharge: No Comments

(iv)              Land east of 11 School Lane-Details of slab levels: No comments

(v)                78 & 80 High Street-Conversion to dwelling with separate 1 bed

                                    flat: No comments

                                                                                                                                                       

(b)   Planning Consents issued:

(i)            Land south of Upper Nashenden Farm-12mtre single transformer

                                    pole

                        (ii)       Land east of 11 School Lane-Erection of 4x2 bed houses: Details

                                   of materials and acoustic protection.

(iii)               Land east of 11 School Lane-Erection of 4x2 bed houses: Details

                                    of landscaping

(iv)              Scarborough Farm Barn-Alteration to form a dwelling: Details of

                                    boundary treatment

(v)                14 Nelson Road-Rear g/f extension and attached side garage

                                    extension.

(vi)              Land east of 11 School Lane-Erection of 4x2 bed houses-Details

                                    of slab levels

(vii)             Land east of 11 School Lane-Erection of 4x2 bed houses-Details

                                    of surface & foul water discharge.

(c)    Planning Applications refused:

      There were no applications refused this month.

(d)   Other Planning Issues:

      Access road to rear of High Street: The Clerk reported that he

                                    had made enquiries of Loic Flory at KCC regarding the possibility

                                    of obtaining a grant toward the fees for the access road and had been

                                    advised that this might be regarded as beneficial to the owners of the

                                    High Street properties backing on to the access road rather than a

                                    community benefit. However, Members felt that this would be

                                    community benefit and would  alleviate the parking problems in the

                                    village and agreed to  proceed on this basis.                                                                  

                                    Peters Pit Development: The Chairman advised members that

                                    The Planning Committee had met and considered the application for

                                    the Greenway. There were a number of issues that were not clear with

                                    one set of plans with the application showing shrubbery in the line

                                    of the road and another set showing the shrubbery cleared.   

                                    Another factor that seemed to have changed from the original plan

                                    was the traffic lights which were originally proposed mid way along

                                    the greenway whereas now there appeared to be 2 sets, one at

                                    either end of the greenway.

                                                                                                                Action by

                                    The absence of a bridleway was also noted and it appeared that

                                    riders would either have to travel on the road or on the

                                    cycleway/footway which was not considered satisfactory.In view of

                                    these fact, Members AGREED that the referral back to the Borough,

                                    with a request for clarification, was the correct course of action.The                       Clerk

                                    Chairman also made reference to the 106 Agreement for the site which,

                                    he stated, appeared to provide various forms of funding and felt that the

                                    3 Villages should capitalize on this and put forward one or two projects

                                    each, for funding  by Trenport and see how this is received.                                   Chairman

 

 

10. YOUTH PROVISION: In the light of the possible Community Centre project,

see under Village Hall item on the agenda, this matter has been suspended.   That is

not to say that the Management team of parents cannot continue establishing the

basis of the youth club.

                                                                                                                                                                                                    

11. STREET LIGHTING: The Clerk reported a letter received from DW Lighting, advising

that a Waste electrical & Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) required  manufacturers,

sellers and resellers to ensure the correct treatment of all equipment.   Consequently, it was

envisaged that a charge of some 15-20p per lamp would be charged for replacements.

There appeared to be no street lights out at this point in time.

 

12. HIGHWAYS & VERGES: General:  Further to the minute of the July meeting,

regarding Mr Jarvis’s request to place a memorial seat on the Riverfront in memory

of his father, the Clerk reported that Mr Jarvis had been advised by TMBC that the Borough

had no objection to the proposal and that he may go ahead and arrange the installation of

the seat.

Cllr. Head advised members of the issues she was raising with KHS on the Spreadsheet

this month.   The were no other issues to be raised and accordingly Cllr. Head undertook

to forward it to the Clerk for onward transmission to KHS.

 

13. FOOTPATHS/PROW: General: Cllr. Head reported that she had agreed with Dennis

Munn who would be installing the kissing gate on MR 6, subject to agreement on the

exact position of it

The Clerk reported that the acquisition of the strip of land alongside the school, from

Trenport, was now completed and the PC were now the owners of the land.   The fees

payable to Kingsley Smith for acting in this matter, were among the accounts for payment

this month and amounted to £1,615.09.

The Chairman referred to the footpath that was being created, through usage, from Oldfield

Drive through to the Tramway and High Street.   Members AGREED that the Clerk make an

approach to Trenport to see whether they would be prepared to allow this as a permissive

footpath.

 

14. ALLOTMENTS: The Chairman reported that Andy Fizzani, on behalf of the Allotment

Association, had reported that apart from a break in at the allotments on the 27th July all was

going well.   Nothing was taken from the break in and the damaged fencing had been

repaired.

The Chairman suggested that he was considering asking the Allotment Association if they

would be interested in resurrecting the Flower & Veg Show.   In years gone by, an annul

Flower and Veg Show had proved quite successful and it would open to residents of all 3

Villages.   Members AGREED that this suggestion was worth exploring further and the                              Chairman

Chairman be authorized to consult with the Allotment Association about such a Show.

 

15. RECREATION GROUND: The Chairman referred to the suggested layout of 2

football pitches on the Recreation Ground, produced by John Verrall of Burham FC.

It was felt that this layout restricted the space for the public’s use of the land and consequently

did not feel that it could be agreed to.   Members AGREED that the layout was unacceptable 

and that Mr Verrall be advised accordingly.

The Chairmn also referred to the fact that he was hoping to arrange a meeting with officers of

TMBC, in regard to the Recycling area within the car park of the Recreation Ground.   It was

considered that this area needed re-vamping and he was hoping to agree an improved area,                       Chairman

within the car park area, that would be more ‘user friendly’.

The Clerk reported that he had received the Engineer’s Report from Zurich Insurance, for the

play equipment on the Recreation Ground.   There were no major problems to be attended to

but a number of fairly minor repairs were suggested as being necessary.   It was suggested that

Dennis Worcester of ‘Just the Job’ be asked to quote for these repairs and the cost might, at                     Clerk

least in part, be met from the fund held by TMBC as part of the 106 Agreement, for

maintenance and repairs.

 

16. VILLAGE HALL: It was reported that the Clerk had written to Lefarge Cement

(previously Blue Circle) seeking their reaction to the PC asking for a release from the

restrictive covenant within the conveyance of the Village Hall to the PC, whereby the

building and land is limited to use for a Village Hall only.   If the PC can obtain a release

from this restrictive covenant, they could then seek a valuation of the premises with a view

to selling them and building a new community centre on the Recreation Ground.                                    

 

17. FINANCE: (i) General: The Clerk reported that there had been three cheques written

during the month requiring approval, apart from those to be authorized today, as listed

below. The cheques previously written were to Mr K Savage for materials in connection

with the village sign (£138.60), Burham PC – 4th Week Playscheme contribution (£211.05)

and Ms J Harmer – Salary for litter duties for July, 2007 (£214.00).

The income for the month amounted to £95.00, being the fee for the use of the Village Hall

for the election in May.   This sum has to be transferred to the Village Hall account.       

(ii)              Bank Position:

Income this month: £95.00

                                    Current Account: £7283.10 (less cheques for payment today)

Savings Account: £374.83

Building Society Account: £9,724.08

 (iii) Accounts for Payment:

Cheque No

Payee

Detail

Amount

2312

K Savage

Expenses associated with construction of Village Sign

138.60

2313

Burham PC

PC contribution to 4th week of Playscheme

211.05

2314

J Harmer

Litter duties-July, 2007

214.00

Direct

EDF Energy

Street Lighting–Electricity supply July & August, 2007

45.92

2315

Kingsley Smith LLP

Fees in connection with purchase of strip of land

1615.09

2316

BT

PC’s Quarterly Telephone Account

72.12

2317

Zurich Municipal

Renewal of Employers Liability Insurance, etc.

3761.68

2318

Staples

Stationery, etc.

28.39

2319

M J Ross (July & Aug.’07)

Sal: 1500.00; Rent: 300.00; Exp:67.52; Imp:27.14

1894.66

2320

J Harmer

Litter Duties-August, 2007

171.20

 

 

 

 

 

 

          Total to be authorised today:

7543.14

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All the above accounts were approved for payment.     

                                                                                                                                                 

                                                                                                                                                                Action by

                     (iii)   Grants: The Clerk reported that he had consulted with Loic Flory of

KCC, regarding the PC’s application for a Local Schemes Grant.   He stated that Mr Flory had

Indicated that any grant application must be complete with all necessary approvals obtained to

show the PC’s commitment to the scheme and for the PC to be in a position to commence the

project before the end of March, 2008.   It was also understood that the County Council had

much more limited funds this year with grants of £2,000 – 3,000 being likely rather than the

larger amounts of the past.   It was agreed that in this PC’s case, it was doubtful whether they

would be in such a position for the Youth project, especially in view of the most recent

possibility of selling the present Village Hall and erecting a new community center on the

Recreation Ground.    

In view of this Members AGREED that an application should be made for the fees that would

be required for designing and making the necessary planning application, for the access road

and authorized the Clerk to submit the appropriate application.   This application would be for                   Clerk

a sum of £2,000.

It was   also AGREED that a Local Members grant application should be submitted, for the

costs of landscaping the newly acquired strip of land adjacent to the school.   This was likely                      Clerk

to be in the region of £1,200 - £1,500.

The Clerk also advised Members that Loic Flory had also enquired about the most recent

Members grant for bluebells and Wouldham Common renovation works, which was still

outstanding.   Cllr. Head stated that the bluebells would be planted in the near future with                           Clerk

the other planned works being undertaken shortly also.

 

18. SPECIAL REPORTS:  (a) Village Sign: As referred to last month, the Village sign was

now ready for erection.   The area on the green where it was proposed to locate it had been

checked for services and was clear.   Cllr. Stone, together with the Chairman and Cllr. Head 

Cllr. Stone would determine the precise site of the sign within the green area and confirmed that

they would ensure that the sign was erected as soon as possible.

The grass cutting of the green was also referred to since with the erection of the sign and the

subsequent installation of a bench seat on the green, it was considered vital that the PC had

control over the area and ensured that it always looked neat and tidy, with appropriate planting

and it was AGREED that TMBC be approached again to determine whether or not they would                 Clerk

be prepared to allow the PC to maintain this area.

                                             (b)Church News & Letter: Various items were identified for

inclusion in the Church Magazine and in the absence of Cllr. Giles, the Clerk undertook to                          Clerk

produce the item for the forthcoming month.

                                               

19.  CORRESPONDENCE:  The list of letters and other correspondence received during the

month was circulated to Members on the e-mail, so that any Member could request sight of any

particular item that they wished to read.

 

20. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be on the 2nd October, 2007.

 

21. COUNCILLORS/CHAIRMAN/CLERK: Cllr. Adams questioned the actions of Cllr.

Fulwell in bringing a libel action against the Chairman and Clerk in regard to the PC produced

document ‘Response’.   He considered it ill advised and as the issue was some 6 months old

wondered why he had chosen to take this course of action now particularly bearing in mind

the fact that the Standards Board for England had determined that there was no case to answer.

Cllr. Fulwell stated that this was an action brought by him against the Chairman and Clerk and

was not a matter for the PC.

 

 

Cllr. Head, on the same issue regarding the libel action brought against the Chairman and

Clerk, asked Cllr. Fulwell, if he lost the action would he resign as a parish councilor.

Cllr. Fulwell confirmed that he would if the case went against him.

 

 

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.35pm

 

Signed as a correct record of the proceedings

 

 

Date: 2nd October, 2007.                                                          Chairman:………………………

 

© Copyright 2009 WW Media